Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Shepherd's Pie

Sorry peeps! I realized I didn't take any good snap shots for this recipe. But BUT, I got this instead...



I know, I know... it looks far away.. I promise to take an upclose picture the next time I cook this again, ok?

Meanwhile, enjoy this recipe! I guarantee you will love it!


What you need:

PART A
  • 3-5 big potatoes, peeled, chopped into big chunks (Note:you can use any kind, but desiree ones taste nicer!)
  • Butter
  • Milk


PART B
  • 500gms minced chicken
  • 1 brown onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 3 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 sachet tomato paste
  • 1 can diced tomatoes
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Salt and pepper to taste


Step-by-step instructions:


PART A:

  1. Cook potatoes in a pot of salted boiling water until tender.
  2. Drain well.
  3. Mash the potatoes and add in some milk and butter. Your end product should be smooth.
  4. Season with salt and pepper.


PART B:

  1. Heat some oil in a frying pan and cook the onions for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Add in chicken mince and cook until browned.
  3. Next, add in celery and carrots and keep stirring for 5 minutes.
  4. Add in diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
  5. Then, place bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce into the mince mixture.
  6. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
  7. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves.


PART C:

  1. Preheat oven to 220 degrees.
  2. Place the mince mixture to a baking dish (preferably one with a good height)
  3. Transfer the mashed potatoes and spoon over the top of the mince mixture.
  4. Use a fork to create peaks.
  5. Optional: Sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the top.
  6. Bake for 20 minutes or until mashed potato turns brown.


Tip:

  • I like to start boiling the potatoes first because they take some time to soften. Meanwhile, work on the mince meat mixture.
  • Remember to take the bay leaves out from the pot! Count how many leaves you put in...
  • A good simple recipe for potluck parties!

Recipe- credits to my lovely aunty!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Bing's aunty! LOL.
    But for real, those pie you made
    look so devilishly yummy!

    Promise you come home and make some for me haha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vonnie! Hohoho.. I will cook this when I come back ok?? Or... you can try out the recipe!! And let me know how it goes...

    ReplyDelete