Saturday, August 15, 2009

Peek into Aged Care facility- DAY 1

As part of the placement activity, I went out for a visit to the Domus Operosa Burton Residential Aged Care facility in Salisbury. Read more about it in http://www.italianvillage.org.au/, if you're interested. Hey, some point you've got to plan about your later life right? Whoops... Am I thinking a little too far?


Now, I know what you're thinking when you read 'italian', but really it is not the case, because they would take in people regardles from where they come from. And for the whole week, I was wondering how I would converse with the residents there for my project! Thinking of all sorts of hand gestures. HAhaha... Seeing that I've never been out further than city, my supervisor took me for a drive around the area - Mawson Lakes. How lovely of her! ^_^


Anyway, when I arrived there, what struck me was how enormous this place was! I couldn't believe it was a nursing home! I've got this pre-formed perception that old folks home are disorganized and unkempt, but perhaps I'm comparing it to ones that I had visited a long time ago. This place that I went, felt very much like entering a hotel (newly built building)! It didn't feel awkward or strange, instead the place felt very homely.


The purpose of travelling there with an accredited pharmacist was to conduct a drug use evaluation (DUE) in line with the quality use of medicine (QUM). I had the opportunity to enter a few rooms and interviewed residents about their pain etc. Their bedroom were extremely TIDY!!! Mine was FAR from that. Each room had a single bed, television set, mini fridge, built-in cupboards, dressing table and an end table neatly decorated with photo frames and amongst the pictures you can even spot their black and white wedding photos. How awesome is that? Their family members also brought in other trinkets such as their favourite ornaments, teddy bears (Haha...So cute right?!! Big ones sit on the chair, small ones on the bed) etc etc etc. Best of all, all have their own bathrooms attached! Additionally, each room opens to a stretch of gardened courtyard and according to the nurses, some residents even hold competition to see who has the most beautiful garden ^.^



This is the common dining area-extremely huge! But what top the 'wah' list for me was the spectacular view of the tranquil lake admist the lush greenery!



My jaw dropped when I entered the dining area. I didn't expect this at all...to be greeted with such breathtakingly beautiful scenery. The fountain just beautifies the whole picture. Absolutely mesmerizing! *dreamy mode on*


Just wanna share with you on my experience which had left me feeling...er, don't know how to describe. Anyway, it goes like this: This particular lady that I interviewed had been experiencing neuropathic pain for the past 10 years!! It's very hard to imagine how to endure the sudden shocking electric jab in your toes, fingers and face. Although it is short-lived (about 10-20 seconds) but when it comes, it is excruciatingly pain according to her. I felt so helpless when she described to me about her pain and she was told by many doctors to just live with it =(

After the interview, I went back to my station to collate my data and to discuss this issue with ny supervisor. After an hour later, when this lady had finished her art class (her artwork is marvelous, really!), she popped by the station just to show me that she has got a video recording of a short documentary which relates to her kind of pain. She said that she thought of me and figured I might find this useful in my project. Her words practically made me melt inside. She is sooooooo SWEET~

Leaving you with another picturesque scenery. I just can't get enough of it. I'm so in love with the sparkly lake waters and the beautiful clear blue sky.



I thought these mini flowers were so pretty! Don't know what it's called, so I shall name it Domus Operosa's flower.









Day 2 coming up NEXT!

No comments:

Post a Comment