Friday, September 18, 2009

The beginning of the last semester

I've been waiting for this day. To get it done with and move on. I felt SO relieved after printing and binding my project book this afternoon. Handing it up felt EVEN better. I'm still amazed I'd finished writing it up! I thought it was simply impossible to write that much!

So, the three months of work will be judged upon what is written in that 60 pages bound book. I'll just pray and hope for the best. At the same time, I was thinking, even if it didn't turn out what I aimed for, I will be forever very grateful for all the experiences that I'd gained.

I remembered feeling unhappy where I was during that three months. I didn't had time to hang out with my friends. I didn't see my housemate much either. And I didn't cook as much because of the uncertainty in the schedule. It was nice of Jo piggy to accompany me that one day and to listen to what I'd to say. She said she never seen me like this before. It was true. I never felt that way in such a long time.

I reckon I felt very cooped up in the institution. I wished I had more patients to talk to but the situation did not permit. Additionally, I didn't like the idea of searching for journal articles... I should have known while I was doing Microbiology & Immunisation subject way back in year 2. I had to research on two HIV drugs: Enfuvirtide & Indinavir. Building on knowledge is fun but the process of writing it up and referencing them (in-text citation and bibliography) is just tedious, in my opinion. And having to stare at the computer 24/7, there goes my increasing eye power.

It was a little frustating because I felt so disconnected with my friends. You know how you are so used to going for lectures and tutorials together, and then suddenly you are put into a totally unfamiliar situation where you have your supervisor as your friend only. Okay, I am exaggerating, you soon get to know the staffs around, but still that doesn't beat being around with your classmates. So that's why I was really looking forward to the next semester where I would get to see familiar faces again.


Having said that, as I pondered in depth (I truly believe that everything happens for a reason), I realized I have learnt so much throughout this short period of time. Some patients had left me thinking about my late grandfather. Oncology nurses taught me chemotherapy protocols. Administration staff chased case notes for me. Some pharmacists are genuinely concerned about my performance even though they aren't my supervisors. The journey and experience is incredible despite my complains.

One of the most memorable experience would be the opportunity to meet renowned professor who is the pioneer in the field of what my research project was all about-Geriatric Oncology.



I was VERY VERY honoured to be able to meet Professor Lodovico Balducci from the Moffitt Cancer Centre & Research Institute (Florida) who came to Adelaide as a visiting professor. How awesome is that?! His encouraging words made me feel that this project is indeed worthwhile to work for.

Anyway, 2 festive seasons are around the corner! YAY! But no holidays here >.<

Selamat Hari Raya!


Happy Mooncake festival!

(Went for a small celebration today)


Enjoy yourself and eat lots of goodies!!!



4 comments:

  1. (don't know if the previous msg got through)

    congrats! you've just written your first book! i want autograph!!!

    cheer up, your future is bright. =)

    lingsi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Lings! You have been very very supportive of me, and I appreciate that. Oh.. you've got your name mentioned as well in my acknowledgement section *wink

    ReplyDelete
  3. same here....being in an unfamiliar situation...n starring at the laptop 24/7...oh well....

    congrats...u have done eveything so now got more time?! hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Zoe! I've got placement workbook to rush now... Aiyaiyai...

    ReplyDelete