Monday, May 17, 2010

Why do we have craving at such odd times?

It was a Sunday morning and while jogging, I had a sudden craving for a cake. Weird, huh? I should be concentrating in what I was doing, but I can't help it =(

Yet, I didn't wanna buy the standard chocolate mud cake or butter cake you get from Woolies or Coles. So, I made my own! which actually turned out quite lovely!

Had my first piece and grabbed another piece before I suddenly remembered to whip out my camera =)


Thanks to my dear cousin, this is her recipe! Enjoy and let me know how you go with it or share with me if you have a wonderful recipe too!

Delicious Carrot Cake

2 cups of plain flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of corn oil
1.5 tsp of baking soda
2 tsp of baking powder
1 tsp of salt
2 tsp of cinnamon
4 eggs
2 cups of grated carrots
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 handful of walnuts, chopped
1/2 can (220g) of crushed pineapple, well drained

1) Preheat oven at 180 C
2) Combine everything - leave out flour, eggs and oil
3) Add oil and stir vigorously
4) Add eggs one at a time and combine well after each addition
5) Add flour in 2 batches
6) Bake for 45-50 minutes

Cream Cheese frosting

1 tsp vanilla essence
250g Philly cream cheese (room temperature)
125g butter (room temperature)
1 cup of icing sugar

1) Beat them together

I've used brown sugar (for the cake) which says low GI for a change. Not sure if that makes any difference but what I noticed is that the outcome was not sweet (which is good from my friends' point of view who are on diet, so they won't blame me from spoiling their plans!) , and I guess healthier too! The cream cheese frosting does the sweetening job which enhances the flavour of the carrot cake. What I really like about this recipe is that nice level of moisture.

I reckon grating is the most painful and time-consuming part of the job. I got little cuts here and there on both of my hands after that exercise. In my next attempt, I'll probably add more grated carrots (make it 2.5-3 cups), vanilla extract, more toasted walnuts and perhaps substitute ground almonds for hazelnuts.





2 comments:

  1. yummy!

    i think its not wierd you have the craving. its a girl thing. our body's natural tendency to crave sugar, when we are lacking it, which in this case, happened when you were using up 'precious' storage.. you got to eat more lah.

    will try the recipe one day...

    lsi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee!! But the thing is, I seldom have cravings! So this was exceptionally strange...

    ReplyDelete